Relocating your company to a new office space is an exciting time, full of endless possibilities. Such a large undertaking will of course create stress, but proper planning in advance will save you and your business time, money and hassle.
Tenant Advisory Group has helped hundreds of companies grow their business in a new space. See below for key tips we provide our valued clients.
Build Your Team
A company relocation has too many moving parts for one person to handle. It’s important to have a solid team in place to keep track of every detail. Here are a few of your key players:
- Involve your moving company in the planning process as early as possible to get the best estimate on your relocation timeline. Contact your furniture vendor and/or partner with an interior designer to plan the look and layout of your new space.
- Have an in-house or on-hand technical expert who can spearhead setting up and migrating your phone and data systems.
- Designate at least one employee as the Move Captain. This person will communicate clearly with staff regarding packing procedures, as well as what to expect in the new location.
Take or Toss
Starting fresh in a new office presents the opportunity to shed items you may not have use for anymore.
- Before making any decisions, prepare a complete inventory of everything in your office — from the conference tables to paperclips.
- Comb through sensitive items such as bank statements, contracts, invoices, client information, etc. Either pack items in secure filing boxes or arrange for a shredding service to take them away.
- Get rid of unwanted electronics, computer equipment and furniture by either recycling or donation. Make sure to gather the necessary paperwork for potential tax write-offs.
Spread the Word
Let your entire network (clients, vendors, professional organizations, etc.) know that your company has a new space and address.
- Make a list of your current clients and vendors, and notify everyone of your change of address to avoid any hiccups in business or productivity.
- Prepare and order new stationery, business cards and envelopes to reflect your new location.
- Contact the post office to have all mail forwarded to your new address.
For questions about how Tenant Advisory Group can make your Chicago relocation as seamless as possible, contact us today.