Preparing for an office move? Herein we include a list of items that you need to make sure to tackle prior to your relocation.
- 1. Prepare an inventory of everything to be moved.
- 2. Have movers come out to premises and do a walk through to determine relocation costs. Develop a basic idea of the scope of items that need moving, and identify any equipment or furniture that has to be taken down or taken apart in one location and put back together in another location.
- 3. Schedule time to reserve the freight elevators and docks at both your old and new locations.
- 4. Secure your insurance requirements for your new location.
- 5. Have your phone and data broker arrange for telecom to be set up at your new location and canceled at your current location.
- 6. Contact your furniture vendor to make sure all your needs are taken care of in the new space.
- 7. Separate out any sensitive items such as bank statements, contracts, invoices, client information etc and shred if need be.
- 8. Prepare change of address information – notify the post office, prepare business cards and stationery, send move notification to clients and vendors, change periodicals, subscriptions, and bill pays to your new address.
- 9. Throw out all materials not essential to be relocated. May need to arrange for additional trash removal, charitable donation pick up, or coordinate off-site storage.
- 10. Communicate clearly with staff and movers so everyone is on the same page with how to prepare and label the belongings and what to expect with the new location.
- 11. Decommission old space. Get rid of unwanted furniture and equipment. Bring space back to what the lease terms specify – broom clean condition is typical.
Like anything else, you should have a good team around you to help facilitate this process. At Tenant Advisory Group, we are more than just commercial brokers, we are business advisors that quarterback the entire real estate process. In addition to bringing you our intimate knowledge of negotiations and the real estate process, we have also worked tirelessly to find the top performers in every sector of the commercial real estate space, including architects, furniture vendors, general contractors, managed service providers/IT consultants, insurance brokers, bankers and real estate attorneys. If you are in need of any of the following services or professionals to help you with your office move, or in general, please don’t hesitate to reach out.